If you’re like many New Yorkers, you’re wondering how Avenues’ debut is going. Many of us want to know if Avenues’ reality lives up to the lofty expectations.
So I consulted my sources. Early reports are mostly favorable. This is what I am hearing:
- Successful opening and orientation, kids felt welcome
- Suri Cruise’s presence a fun plus
- Groundbreaking technical innovation–assignments via iPad, lessons and curriculum stored on iPad, teacher-student interaction via email and uploaded video assignments
- Some early technical glitches that were straightened out
- Harkness Table classroom configuration
- High level academics in core subjects, emphasis on writing
- School values parental input, and curriculum is being adjusted as needed
- School has a corporate feel
- Kids with problems may not be supported
So it wasn’t just hype. Other than the last point, very impressive, Avenues. Like many of us, I look forward to continuing to watch this school’s growth.