NYC Private School Rankings
Manhattan, Brooklyn, Riverdale, Westchester
During the more than twenty years in which we have practiced, families frequently come to us for our rankings of the New York City and Westchester private schools. Families want to know: what do we get for our yearly tuition? How does each Manhattan, Brooklyn, Riverdale and Westchester private school rank in terms of education and college admission?
Here's the story:
- Unlike the public schools, private schools don't participate in and publish yearly testing results. So there is no apples-to-apples NYC private school student performance ranking publicly available.
- From time to time, magazines and newspapers publish NYC private school rankings based upon various criteria that usually center upon admission to top colleges. At Abacus Guide, we collect this college rankings data for private schools. However, we find this ranking data problematic and misleading for very specific reasons.
- We exclusively compile Manhattan, Brooklyn, Riverdale, and Westchester private schools rankings based upon our confidential analysis of how difficult the schools are to get into.
We share all of this confidential information only with our private clients. If you're interested in becoming one, inquire here.
For a list of New York City private schools, including more than 65 well-known NYC private schools, serving students in the Kindergarten - 12th grade years, please see below. We hope it makes your research easier. Also keep bookmarked: Best New York City Private Schools Blog
All three Riverdale private schools attract large numbers of bright, intellectually motivated students (school populations 1000 or more). All are similar to colleges: large, beautiful campuses with excellent sports and arts facilities, many clubs and teams, diverse course offerings including many honors classes, and talented faculty. All attract a largely liberal student population from NYC and nearby Westchester suburbs. This year, many Abacus Guide educational consulting clients achieved admission to these very competitive Riverdale private schools.
- The Fieldston School: Fieldston Road and Manhattan College Parkway, Riverdale, NY 10471 | N-12 | 718-329-7300 Website: www.ecfs.org
- The Horace Mann School: 55 East 90th Street, New York, NY 10128; K-5: 4440 Tibbett Avenue, Riverdale, NY 10471; 6-12: 231 West 246th Street, Riverdale, NY 10471 | 718-432-4000 Website: www.horacemann.org
- The Riverdale Country School: 5250 Fieldston Road, Riverdale, NY 10471 | N-12 | 718-549-8810 Website: www.riverdale.edu
The Brooklyn Heights private schools are the most competitive in Brooklyn. Packer and Saint Ann's, while different in focus, both attract a motivated, liberal Brooklyn and lower Manhattan student base. Many Abacus Guide educational consulting clients seek admission to the Brooklyn Heights schools. For more information on our services, please click here.
The other Brooklyn private schools attract many local students. Poly Prep, because it offers bus service, also sees many students from around the city. Each school is individual in character and philosophy, with an intimate atmosphere. Poly Prep is unusual amongst city schools because it offers such stellar arts and sports facilities.
- Packer Collegiate Institute: 170 Joralemon Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201 | N-12 | 718-875-6644 Website: www.packer.edu
- Saint Ann's School: 129 Pierrepont Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201 | N-12 | 718-522-1660 Website: www.saintannsny.org
- International School of Brooklyn: 477 Court Street, Brooklyn, NY 11231 | N-8 | 718-369-3023 Website: www.isbrooklyn.org
- Trilok School: 143 Waverly Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11205 | N-8 | 718-797-1700 Website: www.trilokschool.org
- Brooklyn Heights Montessori: 185 Court Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201 | N-8 | 718-858-5100 Website: www.bhmsny.org
- Brooklyn Friends School: 375 Pearl Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201 | N-12 | 718-852-1029 Website: www.brooklynfriends.org
- The Berkeley Carroll School: N-K: 712 Carroll Street, Brooklyn, NY 11215 | 1-4: 701 Carroll Street, Brooklyn, NY 11215 | 5-12: 181 Lincoln Place, Brooklyn, NY 11217 | 718-789-6060 Website: www.berkeleycarroll.org
Park Slope and Dyker Heights:
- Poly Prep Country Day School: N-4: 50 Prospect Park West, Brooklyn, NY 11215; 5-12: 9216 7th Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11228 | 718-836-9800 Website: www.polyprep.org
- BASIS Independent Brooklyn: 556 Columbia Street, Brooklyn, NY 11231 | N-12 | 917-473-1615 Website: www.basisindependent.com
The Downtown Manhattan private schools all reflect their local neighborhood, attracting a largely liberal, and sometimes artistic, literary, and/or activist parent community. At Abacus Guide, we give our educational consulting clients the inside scoop on each Downtown NYC school's character, offerings, and level of competitiveness of admission. For more information on our services, click here.
- Academy of St. Joseph: 111 Washington Place, New York, NY 10014 | N-8 | 212-243-5420 Website: www.academyofsaintjoseph.org
- Avenues: The World School: 259 Tenth Avenue, New York, NY 10001 | N-12 | 212-935-5000 Website: www.avenues.org
- Battery Park Montessori: 21 South End Avenue, New York, NY 10280 | N-K | 212-235-2320 Website: www.batteryparkmontessori.com
- Blue School: 156 William Street, New York, NY 10038 | | N-8 | 212-260-3824 Website: www.blueschool.org
- City & Country School: 146 West 13th Street, New York, NY 10011 | N-8 | 212-242-7802 Website: www.cityandcountry.org
- The Ecole: 111 East 22nd Street, New York, NY 10010 | N-8 | 646-410-2238 Website: www.einy.org
- Friends Seminary: 222 East 16th Street, New York, NY 10003 | K-12 | 212-979-5030 Website: www.friendsseminary.org
- Grace Church School: 86 4th Avenue, New York, NY 10003 | N-12 | 212-475-5609 Website: www.gcschool.org
- Leman Manhattan: 41 Broad Street, New York, NY 10004 | N-12 | 212-232-0266 Website: www.lemanmanhattan.org
- Little Red Schoolhouse and Elisabeth Irwin High School: 40 Charlton Street, New York, NY 10014 | N-12 | 212-477-5316 Website: www.lrei.org
- Pine Street School: 25 Pine Street, New York, NY 10005 | N-8 | 212-235-2325 Website: www.pinestreetschool.com
- St. Luke's School: 487 Hudson Street, New York, NY 10014 | N-8 | 212-924-5960 Website: www.stlukeschool.org
- Village Community School: 272 West 10th Street, New York, NY 10014 | K-8 | 212-691-5146 Website: www.vcsnyc.org
The East Side is home to many of the most competitive private schools in the city. If you're looking for an all-boys or all-girls school, you've hit pay-dirt: many of these institutions are on the East Side. If you prefer coed schools, there are plenty here too. Abacus Guide clients have been accepted at ALL the well-known East Side private schools. including Dalton, Nightingale, Buckley, Ramaz, and UNIS. For more information on our services, please click here.
It's hard to generalize about the East Side NYC private schools. While many have a traditional, conservative bent, others are quite progressive. The school choice is tremendous: besides the well-known "Baby Ivies" (a questionable term), you can find a Montessori school, a French school, an Italian school, a Christian school, an international school, a tutoring school...
- The Allen-Stevenson School: 132 East 78th Street, New York, NY 10021 | K-9 | 212-288-6710 Website: www.allen-stevenson.org
- The Beekman School and Tutoring Center: 220 East 50th Street, New York, NY 10022 | 9-12 | 212-755-6666 Website: www.beekmanschool.org
- The Birch-Wathen Lenox School: 210 East 77th Street, New York, NY 10021 | K-12 | 212-861-0404 Website: www.bwl.org
- The Brearley School: 610 East 83rd Street, New York, NY 10028 | K-12 | 212-744-8582 Website: www.brearley.org
- The British International School of New York: 20 Waterside Plaza, New York, NY 10016 | N-8 | 212-481-2700 Website: www.bis-ny.org
- The Browning School: 52 East 62nd Street, New York, NY 10021 | N-12 | 212-838-6280 Website: www.browning.edu
- The Buckley School: 113 East 73rd Street, New York, NY 10021 K-9 | 212-535-8787 Website: www.buckleyschoolnyc.org
- The Caedmon School: 416 East 80th Street, New York, NY 10021 | N-5 | 212-879-2296 Website: www.caedmonschool.org
- The Cathedral School: 319 East 74th Street, New York, NY 10021 | N-8 | 212-249-2840 Website: www.cathedralschoolnyc.org
- The Chapin School: 100 East End Avenue, New York, NY 10028 | K-12 | 212-744-2335 Website: www.chapin.edu
- Convent of the Sacred Heart: 1 East 91st Street, New York, NY 10128 | N-12 | 212-722-4745 Website: www.cshnyc.org
- The Dalton School:108 East 89th Street, New York, NY 10128 | 212-423-5200 Website: www.dalton.org
- The Family School: 323 East 47th Street, New York, NY 10017 | N-6 | 212-688-5950 Website: www.amshq.org
- The Geneva School of Manhattan: 593 Park Avenue / New York, NY 10024 | N-8 | 212-754-9988 Website: www.genevaschool.net
- The Hewitt School: 45 East 75th Street, New York, NY 10021 | K-12 | 212-288-1919 Website: www.hewittschool.org
- La Scuola D'Italia Guglielmo Marconi: 12 East 96th Street, New York, NY 10128 | N-12 | 212-369-3290 Website: www.lascuoladitalia.org
- Loyola School: 980 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10028 | 9-12 | 212-288-3522 Website: www.loyola-nyc.org
- Lycee Francais de New York: 505 East 75th Street, New York, NY 10021 | N-12 | 212-369-1400 Website: www.lfny.org
- Lyceum Kennedy: 225 East 43rd Street, New York, NY 10017 | N-11 | 212-681-1877 Website: www.lyceumkennedy.org
- Manhattan Country School: 7 East 96th Street, New York, NY 10128 | N-8 | 212-348-0952 Website: www.manhattancountryschool.org
- Marymount School of New York: 1026-1028 5th Avenue, New York, NY 10028 | N-12 | 212-744-4486 Website: www.marymountnyc.org
- The Nightingale-Bamford School: 20 East 92nd Street, New York, NY 10128 | K-12 | 212-289-5020 Website: www.nightingale.org
- Ramaz School: 60 East 78th Street, New York, NY 10021 | N-12 | 212-774-8000 Website: www.ramaz.org
- Regis High School: 55 East 84th Street, New York, NY 10028 | 9-12 | 212-288-1100 Website: www.regis-nyc.org
- The Rudolf Steiner School: 15 East 78th Street, New York, NY 10021 | N-12 | 212-879-1101 Website: www.steiner.edu
- Saint David's School: 12 East 89th Street, New York, NY 10128 | N-8 | 212-369-0058 Website: www.saintdavids.org
- The Spence School: 22 East 91st Street, New York, NY 10128 | K-12 | 212-289-5940 Website: www.spenceschool.org
- St. Bernard's School: 4 East 98th Street, New York, NY 10029 | K-9 | 212-289-2878 Website: www.stbernards.org
- The Town School: 540 East 76th Street, New York, NY 10021 | N-8 | 212-288-4383 Website: www.thetownschool.org
- The Trevor Day School: 6-12: 312 East 95th Street, New York, NY 10128 (N-5 is on the West Side) | 212-426-3360 Website: www.trevor.org
- United Nations International School: 24-50 FDR Drive, New York, NY 10010 | K-12 | 212-684-7400 Website: www.unis.org
On the West Side, competition for entry to some private schools is very stiff, and to others much less so. At Abacus Guide, we help our educational consulting clients apply to a balanced list of West Side NYC private schools. We educate people about not only the well-known schools, but also about some other schools that we think are strong. Some of our clients recently achieved admission to Trinity, Ethical Culture, Collegiate, CGPS, Trevor, and Dwight, among other schools.
Like the East Side, the West Side offers incredible diversity in school choice. The area is home to a few single-sex schools, as well as Jewish schools, church-affiliated schools, an international school, a performers' school...
Many Abacus Guide educational consulting clients seek admission to these private schools. For more information on our services, please click here.
- Abraham Joshua Heschel School: 30 West End Ave, New York, NY 10023 | N-12 | 212-784-1234 Website: www.heschel.org
- The Alexander Robertson School: 3 West 95th Street, New York, NY 10025 | K-6 | 212-663-6441 Website: www.alexanderrobertson.org
- Bank Street School for Children: 610 West 112th Street, New York, NY 10025 | N-8 | 212-875-4433 Website: www.bankstreet.edu
- BASIS Independent Manhattan: 795 Columbus Avenue, New York, NY 10025 | K-8 | Website: www.basisindependent.com
- The Calhoun School: 433 West End Avenue, New York, NY 10024 | N-12 | 212-877-1700 Website: www.calhoun.org
- The Cathedral School: 1047 Amsterdam Avenue, New York, NY 10025 | K-8 | 212-316-7500 Website: www.cathedralnyc.org
- Collegiate School: 260 West 78th Street, New York, NY 10024 | K-12 | 212-812-8500 Website: www.collegiateschool.org
- Columbia Grammar and Preparatory School: 5 West 93rd Street, New York, NY 10025 | N-12 | 212-749-6200 Website: www.cgps.org
- Corlears School: 324 West 15th Street, New York, NY 10011 | N-4 | 212-741-2800 Website: www.corlearsschool.org
- De La Salle Academy: 202 West 97th Street, New York, NY 10025 | 6-8 | 212-316-5840 Website: www.delasalleacademy.com
- The Dwight School: 291 Central Park West, New York, NY 10024 | K-12 | 212-724-2146 Website: www.dwight.edu
- Ethical Culture: 33 Central Park West, New York, NY 10023 | N-6 | 212-712-6223 Website: www.ecfs.org
- Metropolitan Montessori School: 325 West 85th Street, New York, NY 10024 | N-6 | 212-579-5525 Website: www.mmsny.org
- Professional Children's School: 132 West 60th Street, New York, NY 10023 | 4-12 | 212-582-3116 Website: www.pcs-nyc.org
- The Rodeph Sholom School: 168 West 79th Street, New York, NY 10024 | N-8 | 212-362-0037 Website: www.rodephsholomschool.org
- The Solomon Schechter School of Manhattan: 805 Columbus Avenue, New York, NY 10025 | K-8 | 212- 427-9500 Website: www.sssm.org
- Speyer Legacy School: 211 West 61st Street, New York, NY 10023 | K-8 | 212-581-4000 Website: www.speyerlegacyschool.org
- St. Hilda & St. Hugh's School: 619 West 114th Street, New York, NY 10025 | N-8 | 212-932-1980 Website: www.sthildas.org
- The Studio School: 117 West 95th Street, New York, NY 10025 | N-8 | 212-678-2416 Website: www.studioschoolnyc.org
- The Trevor Day School: N-5: 1 West 88th Street, New York, NY 10029 (6-12 is on East Side) | 212-426-3300 Website: www.trevor.org
- Trinity School: 139 West 91st Street, New York, NY 10024 | K-12 | 212-873-1650 Website: www.trinityschoolnyc.org
- York Prep: 40 West 68th Street, New York, NY 10023 | 6-12 | 212-362-0400 Website: www.yorkprep.org
Click here for your chance to avoid costly mistakes and help your child get into your favorite New York City private schools.
For a limited time request your free subscription to our monthly newsletter, Abacus Guide to Schooling, Enrichment, and Parenting.
Abacus Guide Educational Consulting
Offices in Manhattan and Westchester